This past weekend, I participated in my first runDisney race. I was part of the Star Wars Half Marathon: The Dark Side weekend at the Walt Disney World resort. Since I was a beginner, I decided to only run the 5K race. I signed up for the race in December, and immediately started training. I didn’t want to get picked up by the Imperial Army!
The day before the race, my husband and I picked up our race bibs, shirts and other goodies at the Expo located at the ESPN Wide World of Sports.
Everything was going perfect until I made a few beginners’ mistakes. Here are a few tips so you will be prepared for your first runDisney race!
- Magic Kingdom will keep you up past your bedtime, especially when wake up time is 3:45am. It is required to be on the runDisney bus by 4:30am to reach your corral on time. They will leave without you.
- Depending on which corral you are in, you may not start for a while. Take the time to hydrate or snack. We were in the last corral, and did not start until 6:45am.
- If you are concerned about your time, don’t stop for pictures. They will not restart your time for you, and the picture lines are long.
- Please be respectful to others. If you are running please stay to the left, and if you are walking please stay to the right.
- Smile when you pass Disney photographers!
- It feels amazing when you cross the finish line and receive a medal!
- Refuel with water, a banana and the amazing snack box afterwards.
- Wear your medal in the park to receive congrats from all the cast members!
- Take a nap!
- Have fun in the parks!
The most important thing to remember is to have fun. It is very inspiring to hear stories from people who have had injuries or setbacks, and now they are running again. You don’t know other people’s stories. Don’t ever make fun of someone who is trying to push themselves. There are people in this world who wish they could run again.